Thursday, October 14, 2010

RECLAIMED RUSTICS ~ Vintage Typewriters

Okay, I know my Reclaimed Rustics section has been lacking these past weeks, so I decided to post one this morning quickly for some inspiration.
My sister-in-law's piano (which is gorgeous and dark and full of lovely carvings) arrived with the movers yesterday afternoon. Along with it came a beautiful old typewriter she had picked up from a garage sale with the intention of putting it on display. Now downsizing, she was donating it to the Goodwill, but decided to check if I could find a home for it first.
Now, let's be clear about something here. I do not need another typewriter. Nobody needs a typewriter today. But wanting another typewriter is an entirely different story! I don't know why I love them so much. I think it's the delicate keys and the slight smell of old ink. Or maybe it's because I love writing so much and would so much rather blog on a pretty, vintage typewriter that makes the loveliest little clicks and dings. If anything though, I think my love of old typewriters came from one of my favourite Audrey Hepburn films; Paris When It Sizzles. It's a classic story -Boy, a typical Caesar drinking bachelor in Paris, hires girl to type script for next big movie, which is being imagined as it's being typed. Boys ends up in love with typist, who has moved into his guest suite for the duration of the project. Typist carries around a canary in a pretty little cage and wears elaborate, frilly night gowns to bed. That's pretty much the long and short of it. Watch it, it's fantastic.
So, new uses for typewriters? There aren't many. I mean it's not a super versatile piece. But look at the top photo... how gorgeous does it look sitting out? They really are stunning. At first, my perfect little place was on my little writing desk (how great it that, an old typewriter displayed on a writing desk). But, that idea didn't last long when I realized that the writing desk would have to be stored to make room for the piano. So, to be quite honest, I'm still working on a home for it. I think it may end up on my guest room, or possibly on my little console table by my front entrance.
Now, aside from that, I have seen some jewelery created from the old keys - but that's about it. And to be honest (again), I'm not sure I want to wear a ring that says shift release or backspace on it, but, to each his own.


Mid-script in Paris When It Sizzles.... I love Audrey, and also, note the colour of the room in the background! Gorgeous!! The room could be featured in next months issue of Romantic Homes and no one would know it's from like 50 years ago!

1 comment:

  1. It's funny because people use to put them in the garbage. Now people want to collect them as statues in their home.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your comments! I always love reading them. - Maria