Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Thanksgiving Dinner Preparations


In the midst of preparations for my sale, my house suffers. Laundry piles up, boxes are stacked all around, dishes remain in the sink and nothing really gets more than a quick clean.

With Thanksgiving dinner this Saturday, I've been spending my time trying to bring order back to our home.

Along with cleaning, there are some other preparations I'm very much looking forward to:
Baking my pies, setting the table, arranging a centerpiece, and of course preparing dinner itself.

Tomorrow I will be doing a deep clean of the house. Sickness didn't effect me enough to believe that my house will remain in such order until the weekend, but at least the morning of I know I will simply need to do a light clean.

I've also taken out my silverware to give it a quick polish, brought down my table linens to be washed, planned my menu and written my list for the market.

I know that a lot of people can't be bothered with such details. After all, they aren't necessary for a wonderful time together. But I personally enjoy the preparations nearly as much as I enjoy the dinner itself.


I feel much more relaxed as things start to declutter and return to normal.



I think this year I might include some of my brown transferware and use them as serving pieces.



My mom and I have been collecting silver-plated tea and coffee pots, as well as cream and sugar sets. They are planning on including a small tea room area in their shop and so we've been putting a collection of serving pieces together. These are my particular favorite.




On another note, last weekend I went to sale by Oliver and Rust. Meg, the proprietor, did a wonderful job! It's always so nice to find someone who chooses pieces that you yourself are drawn to. I found this antler and this beautiful framed watercolor painting. It's a cozy rural scene and it matches my other frames in my living room perfectly.


I also picked up another pair of beautiful brass candlesticks. These will be used in my table setting as well.

1 comment:

  1. The little watercolour looks lovely and I am happy it found a new home. I really enjoyed your sale and hope you are feeling better. I look forward to reading your blog and seeing you again in the future. I posted a few photos of your sale on Monday with a link back. TTYS

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your comments! I always love reading them. - Maria