Friday, March 6, 2020

guest room design board

If you've known me for a while, or followed along for a reasonable amount of time, you would likely know that I have a very strong affinity towards white.

Design wise, it's where I feel safe, and yet based on the inevitable response I get from most people (especially when they know we have four sons), you would think it was the most unsafe selection.

For me, the white I'm drawn to is a very natural white, maybe slightly creamy in the right lighting. This white feels timeless (it is after all a historic white) and it's neither stark nor cold, or even bold for that matter. It's a sort of blank canvas to build off of. To me, it feels uncluttered and airy, it fades into the background. It allows what's layered onto it to be drawn more into focus: the delicate print of a pattern and the patina of a well-worn pine cabinet, with it's age spots and honey hues, are noticed more . There's more freedom in allowing the design to evolve through the seasons - more warmth and texture for winter, pared down and light for summer. As my tastes grow, the space can grow without a complete re-commitment to another colour, which maybe doesn't seem like all that much of a commitment until the time comes to actually repaint.

That's where I find both safety and freedom in it. It's a sort of beautiful irony really. 

Over the years, I've learned to trust what I'm naturally drawn to. I've watched very distinct patterns unfold in the things I find myself gravitating towards. One of those patterns is colour. When I sort through images that I've gathered for inspiration, be them landscapes, table settings, shops, floral arrangements, or furnishings, the same colours reveal themselves. I've noticed that my tastes are very natural - lots of green with some blue, and hints of yellow. As I've grown more confident in my own sense of taste and style, I've begun incorporating these colours more into my design - adding some traditional blue china to my table, mustard-yellow velvet pillows to the couch and always green in potted plants and fresh florals.

When we purchased our new home, I didn't sway from my usual selection of Simply White. Still, a part of me has always wanted to fully indulge my intuitions and furnish a room exactly as I envision it. When we made the decision to make the formal living room of our home a guest room, I found the perfect opportunity to do just that. It would be a room of it's own and I would allow myself carte blanche to furnish it however I desired.

So, where all good projects begin, I'm thrilled to finally be able to share my design board for our guest room with you. Later, I'm share more on how I decided on the colour.

Here is my best attempt at the sources for my inspiration.
Pillows (top left) - @cotswoldsinteriors, Cowlfax and Fowler
Pillow - Accent Marks (Etsy)
Stitched Monogram - emsheart.com
Drapes - Southern Living
Blue Plate - @houseandhistory
Paint Colour - Farrow and Ball
Light - Visual Comfort Lights
Armoire - @pearlonmain
Pillows and Blue China - @sb.sarabartholomew
Painting - @missmustardseed
Blue and White Vase - The Enchanted Home
Exterior Door - unknown via @susaneblakey
Fabric Collection and Inspiration - @nineandsixteen


1 comment:

  1. I love your blog. Just found it and am starting at the beginning!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your comments! I always love reading them. - Maria