Saturday, October 30, 2021

thanksgiving week in the highlands - a trip around the cabot trail

We are often asked, as fairly green Nova Scotians still, what we love about this place we call home. There are many answers that come to mind, but one that I feel many people aren't aware of, is how beautifully diverse the landscape of this province is. There are parts that feel so classically New England-like, where the coastline here seems to blend seemlessly with those across the waters belonging to Maine. There's the fertile Valley that runs between the mountains, parallel to the Bay, a patchwork of farmland, fruit trees and vines.

And then there are the Highlands.

It's as though the last of Scottish blood flowing through me is drawn to this place. As though part of me knows the hills of a home from generations past lie just beyond the horizon. The fog that rises from the lochs there, rolls across waves and settles on the hills here. The same salty waters come swirling in with the tides at the base of each cliff along coastline. The highlands leave me feeling like I've returned home.


When Ryan's family decided to come and spend Thanksgiving here, we wanted to make it extra special, so we decided to head up to Cape Breton for a few days away together. We booked a cottage right on the water in Chéticamp, with the ocean to the front and the mountains behind. We took our time heading up, stopping to stretch our legs in Margaree Harbour. We follow the sign for Sandy Bathing Beach, and parked at the bottom of the dunes. We wound our way up through the roses well past their bloom, and stood at the lighthouse steps overlooking the harbour below. An old, white farmhouse sits at the top of the hill, flanked by two lighthouses. Just beyond the tall dune lies Margaree Harbour Beach.



When you climb up the dune, you smell the water and hear the waves before you can even see the beach. 


This is the view from our cottage. We could watch the sun rise behind the mountains from the back and see the sun sink below the horizon in the front.


If you've never heard of the Cabot Trail before, it's Canada's version of California's Highway 1. Honestly, before driving it, I didn't realize our East Coast had mountains like this. You wind along the coast, hugging the edge, climbing the mountains and descending down into the valleys. Lookoffs line the road at every beautiful vista so you can get out and take in the views.

 
Add the beauty of the changing leaves and it's a grand tour.
 
Not to mention those gorgeous October skies.



We kept things easy and usually ate out, or we picked a charcuterie and sipped wine at dusk.



On our way home we showed them Inverness Beach - one of our favourite beaches in Nova Scotia. It was grey and moody, but it didn't stop us from enjoying a stroll on the beach in the drizzling rain.





There are so many other places we stopped - Ingonish Beach and Neil's Harbour are other favourites. And if you're really adventurous, go all the way out to Meat Cove.


Whatever you do, just give yourself plenty of time to stop. It's the kind of drive that on paper is three or four hours, but will end up taking you the entire day. But trust me, you won't mind one bit.

12 comments:

  1. Cspe Breton is beautiful. A large part of my heart lives there due to fhe natural beauty and historical connections that I have to Baddeck and the Bell story. Your post, as always, is beautiful. The images bring back so many deep memories.i particularly love the photp of the trail through the dunes to the beach: a favourite spot of ours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely words to bring a heart home to a place they've never been, but long to set foot upon. The minute I started reading I slipped into my music library and tuned into to Jim Brannigan singing 'The Hills of Margaree' to set the mood for your words ... then tried to hold the tears at bay that always assail me when I hear it. I'll blame it on my Scots heritage, and living in the Scottish Highlands (not long enough, but long enough to never want to leave) one short year. So Nova Scotia, being a wee bit closer to California than the old country is, has become the direction my compass points to, as soon as all this Covid rigmarole settles down a bit. Have a love affair with the traditional Nova Scotian music and dancing (went to see Natalie MacMasters at our local university's Performing Arts Center and came home feeling both inspired and a bit heartsick in the same breath. Beautiful blog yours ... brings comfort, simplicity and a gentle beauty all in one fell swoop! So happy to have found you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lost my job few months back and there was no way to get income for my family, things was so tough and I couldn't get anything for my children, not until a met a recommendation on a page writing how Mr Bernie Wilfred helped a lady in getting a huge amount of profit every 6 working days on trading with his management on the cryptocurrency Market, to be honest I never believe it but I took the risk to take a loan of $800 and I contacted him unbelievable and I was so happy I earn $12,500 in 6 working days, the most joy is that I can now take care of my family I don't know how to appreciate your good work Mr. Bernie Doran God will continue to bless you for being a life saver I have no way to appreciate you than to tell people about your good services.
    For a perfect investment and good strategies contact Mr Bernie Doran via WhatsApp :+1(424)285-0682 or Telegram : @Bernie_doran_fx or Email : Bernie.doranfx01@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I lost my job few months back and there was no way to get income for my family, things was so tough and I couldn't get anything for my children, not until a met a recommendation on a page writing how Mr Bernie Wilfred helped a lady in getting a huge amount of profit every 6 working days on trading with his management on the cryptocurrency Market, to be honest I never believe it but I took the risk to take a loan of $1000. and I contacted him unbelievable and I was so happy I earn $12,500 in 6 working days, the most joy is that I can now take care of my family I don't know how to appreciate your good work Mr. Bernie Doran God will continue to bless you for being a life saver I have no way to appreciate you than to tell people about your good services.
For a perfect investment and good strategies contact Mr Bernie Doran via WhatsApp :+1(424)285-0682 or Telegram : @Bernie_doran_fx or Email : Bernie.doranfx01@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. SCAM VICTIMS RECOVERS THEIR MONEY:

    ULTIMATE HACKER JERRY currently collecting funds
    back for all victims who fall into scams, Hurry up and
    contact him explain your situation to him he will help you
    in all crypto scam recovery
    funds, bitcoin scam recovery, investment scam, mobile spy,
    hacking contact him on
    Email:(Ultimatehackerjerry@seznam.cz)
    WhatsAp:(+152 0329 0320)
    when you require his service please say
    Wilder Newton referred you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lost Your Cryptos? You Want To Recover Your Stolen BTC? Contact Recovery Masters

    Bitcoin and other cryptocurrency scams are becoming rampant as the day goes by. One should be careful when dealing with people online especially when it has to do with your funds. Getting back your stolen bitcoins is very easy but there are also lots of fraudulent recovery firms out there so you need to be careful not to end up being defrauded again. Recovery Masters are the most trusted and reliable recovery Hackers. They are the best recovery team out there now. They are very fast and efficient in the recovery of your funds. To contact them on email (Recoverymasters@email.cz) or whatsapp +1(551) 202-23-35 You can simply send an email and you will be helped to recover 100% of your lost funds- I was able to recover all of my stolen bitcoins. They provide excellent service.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My words of advice to everyone out there, please have a proper insight before investing in these online cryptocurrency trading platforms and binary options. My co worker introduced me to one such platform where he had invested $300,000 which would generate $500,000 in 2 weeks. After much convincing from my work partner, I saw it as a lucrative opportunity and so I jumped on it and invested my $215,500 to earn $430,000 within the same period. I started noticing red flags when they asked my colleague to pay for such charges to facilitate the withdrawal process which was never successful. The same happened to me when my 2 weeks was due, By the time we realized it was a scam, they had already robbed us a total of $850,000. We opted to hire an investigator and a top hacking syndicate who took our case, and in three days, they had tracked the scammers and refunded our money. Contact them on spyhost@cyberdude .com

    ReplyDelete
  8. It persists to be unnatural that people don't know how to get back wallets, security keys, and cryptocurrencies that have been misplaced. Despite the fact I used to imagine the contrary, everything is possible when working with certified digital asset recovery developers. Have you ever experienced financial loss due to hoaxes on spurious investing portals? Feel comfortable knowing that MYSTERIOUS HACKER has the tools to help people reclaim their financial futures and corporations by recovering any money they may have sent or lost to counterfeiters. I paid a Bitcoin scammer $40,000 to assist me with a purchase after transferring him the money. I hired MYSTERIOUS HACKER when I lost communication with them, and they were successful in recovering my funds. I'm happy I stumbled onto these web professionals. Get the help you need quickly, Visit their website on: https://mysterioushacker.info and telegram: +15625539611

    ReplyDelete
  9. My husband and I lost $313,000 Btc to a fake cryptocurrency investment platform A few months Ago, We had made an investment with an online broker who pretended to work with an investment Firm that helped traders and he literally promised huge profits who at the end scammed us and wasn't even responding to our messages. This really hit us hard to a point my husband had suicidal thoughts. Fortunately for us,An old family friend who previously worked with my husband Referred us to this recovery expert. As they refer to themselves,They checked on our case and assured us our funds were recoverable.Their services and responses were professional and satisfying. They were able to recover $273,500 Btc We really appreciated them for their help, although not all the funds were recovered. Incase you need their services, Email them through (Spyhost@cyberdude.com).

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Thanksgiving Week in the Highlands" sounds like a perfect blend of gratitude and natural beauty. Imagining crisp air, scenic views, and shared moments of thanks creates a warm feeling. Wishing you a wonderful time filled with joy, appreciation, and the beauty of the highlands. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  11. TOP BITCOIN RESTORATION SKILLER
    I'm thrilled to talk about Captain Jack Crypto Musk because this cyber security firm helped me get my cryptocurrency and lost digital money back. Their skilled work and exceptional service have absolutely astonished me. I never would have believed that I could get my money back until I went to them, explained my situation, and gave them all the information I needed. I was astounded that it took them 72 hours to get my money back. For any cryptocurrency recovery, digital fund recovery, hacking, and cybersecurity-related difficulties, I wholeheartedly endorse Captain Jack Crypto Musk.

    He can be reached by email at captainjackcrypto@europe.com.

    ANGEL CONSULT HACK AN EXPERT HACKER TO RESTORE ALL OF YOUR LOST CRYPTOCURRENCY IS CAPTACINO JACK Crypto.

    ReplyDelete
  12. MY OWN EXPERIENCE WITH LOST CRYPTO RETRIEVEMENT!

    The Captain Jack Crypto expert in Bitcoin recovery. Recovering Lost Funds From Online Fraudsters / Bitcoin Mining / Bitcoin Recovery / Improve Your Credit Score and Obtain Authorization for Remote Mobile Spy Control. Extraction of bad records from database systems, both public and private. Captain Jack Crypto can be contacted via email at captainjackcrypto@europe.com.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your comments! I always love reading them. - Maria