Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The Sunroom

[All photos - The Grower's Daughter]

This past weekend was our first long weekend of the summer (at least for us in Canada), and it was gorgeous! There was sun each day, with the odd bit of rain here and there, and a beautiful thunderstorm last night, which was lovely to fall asleep to.

We spent the weekend in the gardens, eating on the back deck and around the campfire at night. It really was wonderfully relaxing. But, I did manage to get some work done as well. The gardens were all weeded and prepped for planting, and I was able to fish my sun room! This was quite the task, as it meant transferring all of our coats, shoes and other things into our front entrance to empty the space before I began redecorating.


The only one who didn't seem to mind the chaos was our cat, who thoroughly enjoyed lounging on my netting in the sun.


Once everything was out, I spent a good of couple hours cleaning the whole space. I cleaned windows inside and out, touched up paint, patched holes (well, my husband took care of that), washed walls, and scrubbed floors and baseboards. Then I started moving things in and setting the room up as a proper sunroom, and not just a back mud room.

To see the before photos, since there are already enough photos here for one post, you can see them here.

I'm really happy with how it turned out, especially since I didn't purchase one thing for the makeover! I may still go out and buy an area rug, but that's it.

Enjoy.


This room has the best view in the house, but was previously used as a back door and mudroom. I always hated that a space with such gorgeous potential was housing my shoes, especially since we had a front entrance way that was never used!


I've had this old cast iron bed, which was originally a crib, for a long time, stored, and waiting to be used.


On the left side of the room, opposite the daybed, are these two chairs, which have always been in the space. I thought about replacing them with arm chairs, but there is no room. These fit in perfectly, so they'll stay. As you can see, they are in front of the french doors, which go to our back deck. It's beauitful to have them wide open, with the netting pulled across. This little pefestal table was an old Ikea find. It will work perfectly until I find a slightly larger replacement.


It really is my new favourite spot in the house to curl up with a book, and a coffee, and just relax, while basking in the sunlight, overlooking the yard, and watching the curtains gently blow in the breeze.


This is the view coming into the room from the deck. The daybed works nice as a couch.


We still wanted to be able to walk through to the deck. Plus, with more seating outside, it's a great extension on the room while entertaining!


You may recognize these cushions from the living room, before I redid it. I figured they could be reused in this space since they go perfectly with the decor anyway!


I didn't want to paint the bed, so I decided to go with clear lacquer instead to seal it. I made it into a daybed by taking off one of the sides.


I had a few old corbels and vintage finds lying around that I used on the shelves above the bed.


These are from my bleeding hearts in the garden - they are in full bloom, and larger than ever! I think a few cuttings look pretty in a white enamel pitcher.

8 comments:

  1. Absolutely gorgeous! What a wonderful space for both quiet time and entertaining. Thank you for sharing it.

    Cristine

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great room !! so nice decorated !! love Ria....xxx...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the inspiration! I'm in the midst of redoing my front porch that was enclosed years ago and is my little sun room. I love the feeling you've captured and that is what I am going for as well.... relaxing, quiet and perhaps a little sun and summer breeze :)

    ~Chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautiful, I absolutely love the vintage daybed! Xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maria it looks so pretty,you must be thrilled,the daybed and pillows are to die for!!! x0x0

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks like a little piece of heaven on earth!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This perfectly captures our beautiful Ontario summers...now if of only it would arrive! Enjoy your lovely, relaxing space. What a beautiful spot to enjoy all that delicious wine from wine country. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So very pretty and a great use of space. I really love the soothing colours and all the textures. Now if the rain will stop for a few days, we will begin to enjoy an early Ontario summer. At least the grass is nice and green!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your comments! I always love reading them. - Maria