Tuesday, September 10, 2013

A New Bench and Living Room Rug


I woke up one morning about six months ago to a lovely red bench sitting by my front entrance. Ryan had already left for an early meeting and was ecstatic when I called asking how it had appeared. He was on his morning walk when he came across it. Seeing it's potential, he came back home, grabbed the car and drove to pick it up.

It's been sitting in my basement waiting for the perfect fabric.

Today I finally got around to recovering it while Willen was at school. It wasn't hard and I'm very happy with how it turned out.

I found a pretty charcoal toile fabric on clearance at our local fabric store. It was $8 a meter. I purchased some with the intent of making a couple pillows or something simple, but when I got home, I realized it was meant for my bench.

The bench has it's original label and was purchased in New York.


It's a Chippendale style bench that had been covered in this lovely red fabric.




I first removed the seat, and stripped it of it's fabric. I took off two layers, but only stripped down to the last professional recovering.


There will still 3 other fabric layers underneath that. You can see the slightest hint of the original fabric. I liked it the best out of all six.


I've never really done much covering, so I just did a simple fold of the corners and stapled the fabric in place.


This particular toile felt very appropriate with Autumn coming.


It was a very simple update, but it makes a huge difference.


I also found a rug for our living room. We haven't had one for over a year. I had an idea of what I was looking for, and had been looking but hadn't found anything that was a inexpensive enough without being cheap.


I finally found this one on clearance at Home Sense. It's a sisal rug with a fabric trim and it's 6' x 9'. It was on sale for $148. I was beyond excited. It does a good job anchoring the room.


And since I have the bench at the front entrance for now, I moved my parlor table back to it's original spot beside my chair.



5 comments:

  1. Looks great! The toile was the perfect choice. I just finished my own chair project yesterday. (It involved bright turquoise paint!) Nothing better than checking one off the list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a thoughtful husband you have. It's perfect and love that rug!
    Ness xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lot of valuable information on this page. The moths and dust mites are a potential threat to carpet users health.There may be
    colonies of dust mites feeding on Dead skin flakes deposited on carpets, So the carpets need to be cleaned carefully and also
    must not lose their color, texture and other properties after washing or cleaning procedures. Ruckstuhl carpets are durable, even under hard conditions, and have a long service life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! I think that rug is perfect for my new condo in Philippines' living room! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your comments! I always love reading them. - Maria