Friday, March 20, 2015

Welcoming Spring


Spring has officially arrived, and while it seems that Winter is lingering, it won't be long before there isn't any doubt that the seasons have in fact changed.

We decided to celebrate by taking the boys to the Butterfly Conservatory at the Botanical Gardens. It was a wonderful way to spend the afternoon. There were thousands of butterflies fluttering about the conservatory, each with intricate patterns and vibrant colours. They went from flower to flower as you walked around the tropical oasis, basking in the warm climate and being soothed by the sounds of the water. The boys were also excited for the Nocturnal exhibit, which consisted of every creature that was unsettling to mom - rats, snakes, scorpions, tarantulas, bats and lots of cockroaches, I did however impress Willen when I held an actual tarantula.

I've decided that this Summer I would like to make a trip back when the gardens are in full bloom.


I've been forcing Forsythia blooms for the past couple weeks, and I thought it was perfectly fitting that their brilliant yellow blooms began to open today.



A couple of days ago, hints of yellow started to peek through.



Aren't the delicate flowers cheerful?


I've spent the remainder of the day reading and enjoying the sunshine.

Did you notice the change of lampshades in the photos? I had pinned a reference guide to lamp shades a little while ago and recently found these square lamp shades for a couple of my alabaster lamps. They were only $14.99 at Home Sense. I do like the more traditional style shade. The round drum shades are more suitable for modern decor. I'm still looking for bell shaped shades, as they too have a more traditional feel.

Happy First Day of Spring.

5 comments:

  1. Welcome, Spring!
    Your home is beautiful, Maria. I did notice the two lampshades, and think that the square-shaped one is a better match for your more traditional decor. It looks so nice!
    And the yellow flowers are just beautiful . . . like little pops of sunshine.
    Thanks so much for sharing with us!
    Happy to read that your family had such a wonderful time at the Butterfly Conservatory.
    Have a great weekend,
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was very useful for me. Keep sharing such ideas in the future as well. This was actually what I was looking for, and I am glad to came here! Thanks for sharing the such information with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The conservatory sounds like the perfect trip to get the spring feel. I would have been ok with the nocturnal displays as long as they stayed behind the glass...smile... Warm Blessings!~♥Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Spring Maria... goodness knows it is a welcome thought.
    I think a trip to PC to Bremfield's would be the perfect way to celebrate I can imagine the flowers are lovely. Some time this week for sure.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm having a little chuckle here. When I opened your blog and saw your first photo, I was thinking "OMG, she has a huge iron planter just like at the Butterfly Conservatory." (We were there yesterday.)

    I love the Forsythia's. I'm thinking about making the trek to Michaels to get some fake ones. The real ones are much nicer!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your comments! I always love reading them. - Maria