Tuesday, July 16, 2019

the perfect picnic (and picnic basket)


We spent last Sunday up in Muskoka, cottage country just a couple hours just North of Toronto.

To make the trip worth while, we thought we'd spend part of the afternoon at the lake. And what could better suit an afternoon at the lake than a picnic lunch?

I bought this picnic basket a few years ago from Homesense. I liked that it had a simple linen-coloured inside and plain white dishes. I have it out on display, but I've only used it a few times. Wanting something kind of special, I cleaned it out and packed a really easy going lunch. Something that I could make ahead of time, that could transport easily and was perfect for nibbling on through out the afternoon.



The basket comes with four little mugs and plates, I just threw in some cutlery and a couple napkins (these from Everyday Occasions).


Also a square table cloth that I don't mind putting out on the grass, and pillow or two (outdoor so they can be cleaned if need be).


And while I love the romantic idea of eating out of pretty paper take out containers, these clear glass Pyrex ones are much more functional (not to mention less waste).

I found these earlier this year at Target - glass and plain white lids, I didn't realize how excited I could get over storage dishes.


On the menu:
Turkey Club Sanwiches
A simple Arugula Salad
(vinaigrette on bottom so as to not wilt greens)
Watermelon and Cherries
Cookies, Chocolate and Italian Nougat



For the sandwiches I just take a baguette, hollow it out a tad, put generous amounts of mayo and Dijon mustard on either side, and then layer Arugula, thick-sliced Turkey breast, bacon rashers, and cheese.

The baguette is a sturdy enough bread that it doesn't go soggy overnight (not adding tomato helps), and yet with a good amount of mayo, it doesn't dry out either.



Simply wrap the sandwiches in paper and tie with a bit of twine.


Now, for the sake of the photo, I have the sandwiches in here, but I actually put them in a lunch bag with some cold packs to keep them cool. Nothing else needed to be kept cool so the rest could stay in the basket.

We ate in the shade of the pine trees, watching everyone lounge on the beach and cool off in the water. Jude chatted happily away to us before running off, trying with great effort to catch a seagull who would let him get close enough to believe it might just be possible. Then we did a little shopping before returning on our way home, with all the boys, to take a quick dip in the lake.



3 comments:

Thanks for leaving your comments! I always love reading them. - Maria