Friday, August 1, 2014

An Afternoon in the Strawberry Fields


The boys and I spent an afternoon a few weeks ago picking strawberries at a farm down the road from us.

I had planned on picking them before we went to the cottage, so when I wasn't able to get around to it, I was afraid that by the time I got back, the season would be over.

Fortunately, though they weren't picking any more for the stand, I was allowed to head out and see what I could find.

Luckily for us, the plants were still full of plump, ripe berries, sweet from the summer's sun.

We took our time filling our baskets, sampling a few here and there. Is there anything more wonderful than a just-picked strawberry?






Next to a buffet of delicious berries, the golf cart ride out to the back field was a highlight for the boys.


Most of our berries were canned as Strawberry jam, but a few pints were frozen for a couple special desserts. Maybe a strawberry pie or a crumble?

1 comment:

  1. How nice to be able to pick your own berries. I loooove strawberries!


    Greetings from the Netherlands,

    Nadine

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your comments! I always love reading them. - Maria