Wednesday, June 20, 2018

in season - peonies, local strawberries and local rhubarb


This is one of my favourite times a year to visit our farmer's market as some of my favourite things are now in season.


A few weeks a year, locally grown Peonies are available and it's such a sight - pails and pails of blooms! And so reasonably priced, you can pick up an armful to enjoy a bunch in every room of the house.

Rhubarb is also still in season, and something I pick up each time I can. We never tire of Rhubarb Crumble Coffee Cake, or Rhubarb Almond Muffins, or a favourite of ours - Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble topped with Vanilla Ice Cream. I also freeze it to enjoy through out the summer.


And local Strawberries have become readily available, and while I will eventually get out to pick my own for jam, we still can't leave without two pints - one to eat and one to enjoy over waffles or with our yogurt.



Within a day or two the Peonies unfurl into the most beautiful flowers and they smell so pretty.


This weekend I also stopped by the Oliver and Rust parking lot sale and grabbed another one of my favourite locally made pillows. I also used my market tote which I brought back from Nantucket!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving your comments! I always love reading them. - Maria