Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Inspirations - Autumn Decor

Unknown

Here are some of my current inspiration rooms.

The seasons effect my tastes so much. They have a great deal to do with my ever-evolving home. I believe that your home is never complete. I'm constantly developing my style, and tweaking it. It is being effected by my surroundings all the time. To me, it's what makes decorating fun, and what keeps it interesting.

Country Living

Obviously, rich woods paired with contrasting clean whites are always a favourite, but they seem especially Fall. I love the look of bits of nature scattered throughout a room: A small ironstone dish of collected acorns, a pumpkin or gourd tucked amongst a vignette, and maybe even a few gathered branches in a vase for a colourful arrangement.

Country Living

I find Fall to be one of my most favourite seasons to cook: Rich ingredients, comfort foods, colourful produce. This is a gorgeous pantry, perfect for housing rustic rolling pins and boards, large ironstone mixing bowls, vintage jars full of grains and flours, and baskets full of earthy carrots, potatoes and onions.

Unknown

This fireplace is breathtaking! The floors are gorgeous, and the chairs are just as charming. What a perfectly cozy setting for an intimate wedding. I also love cream pillar candles. I find I burn mine nearly each night during these months because it seems to get dark so early. They make my living space cozy and inviting - perfect for knitting or reading with my tea and knitted throw.

Unknown

This kitchen is bright and spacious, and more true to my kitchen tastes. There are a few little details in this particular one though that are my favourite.

1 - Those gorgeous old light fixtures.
2 - The collection of old rolling pins and how simple they look displayed on the wall.
3 - The collection of old bottles on the left counter. I wouldn't be able to live with them out on my counter, but they would look equally as lovely in a window.
4 - That door. How I love that door. It's perfect.

Country Living

And finally, collections of old classic literature. As I've mentioned before, I have been reading through all of Jane Austen's novels and I am enjoying myself immensely. In fact, I've been so inspired by their social calls and afternoon teas that my best friend and I have decided to go for high tea tomorrow at a historic hotel in Niagara on the Lake. I couldn't think of a lovelier way to spend a dreary Autumn afternoon than over a cup of perfectly served tea, complete with petite sandwiches and delicate pastries, warm scones with jam and Devonshire cream, and of course, good company. Later, we will "do town" and pop in and out of the quaint little shops, trying to avoid the rain. I'm so looking forward to it.

Have a lovely afternoon.

8 comments:

  1. Gorgeous photos!!! I love that huge fireplace with the candles, just breathtaking!
    Hope you have a lovely day.
    Sincerely,
    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my what a wonderful post!!
    Love your images of the warmness autumn brings!
    And Niagara on the lake is a favourite of mine..have fun!!!!

    Deborah xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these images and especially love that kitchen for all the reasons you do!!

    Have a lovely tea with your friend!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful post! I so aree with you about decorating...constantly changing, because we are. I adore the Country Living pantry, if I owned it, I would go in there, close the door and just look at it! I do hope you enjoy your afternoon tea and shopping with your friend, sounds utterly charming! Love Linda x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Niagara on the Lake is so beautiful. We visited there for our fifth anniversary~20 years ago. So charming! Enjoy your tea together. Sounds really fun! I love the chair with the stack of old books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are all so beautiful and they do make you feel like the air is getting colder outside, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the post. What wonderful images.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Part of the fun of decorating is coming up with ideas and making those ideas come to life.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your comments! I always love reading them. - Maria