Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Road Trip Highlights - The Country Living Fair and Ohio

All Photos - The Grower's Daughter

My mother kindly reminded me this morning that I had yet to blog about our road trip down to Ohio for the Country Living Fair.

How has it already been a month since we've been back?

Well... better late than never! Here are some highlights from the Country Living Fair in Columbus, Ohio, and a few other photos from our trip out to Charm, a quaint little town in Ohio, and a favourite vacation spot of my parents.

Now, first you have to understand that whole "Trip to Ohio" thing. When we were little girls, my parents used to take us to "visit the Amish". That's right... That was were we vacationed. At one point, they even bought all four of us little Amish dresses and bonnets. Most parents vacationed in the South, or maybe headed East, but not my parents. For years they have made annual trips down to Ohio; Charm, Ohio to be exact. It's not that I remember having a bad time there - it was always fun. But, as we've grown up, it's become a joke in our family that my parents still insist on going back to their favourite little spot.

This year, having already planned to attend the Country Living Fair, which happens to be only a couple hours from Charm, my parents convinced me to head out there with them. I took Willen and my sister along for a little road trip and honestly, I can't say I was expecting to enjoy myself as much as what I did. I mean I knew it would be fun, especially for Willen, but I didn't think I would love it nearly as much as I did.

Being only five hours away from us, it was the perfect distance for our weekend adventure. We ate at my parents favourite little restaurant each night, walked the local towns, and of course, enjoyed the best coffee and donuts in all of Holmes County. The inn we stayed at was cozy, and complete with a fireplace and jacuzzi tub (Willen was convinced he had his own personal swimming pool). The towns were nestled into big rolling hills, speckled with horses, and humming with the constant sound of buggies passing. The houses were simple and white and always in pristine condition (and always with a laundry line that seemed to go on forever!). But all the quaint, country charm and homey goodness aside, there was one particular reason I loved the trip.

The junking.

Barns full, warehouses full, even roadside sheds full! It was a constant hunt for the best hidden treasures and I came home with a car full of beautiful pieces!

The fair was a great afternoon, as always, but it really was only part of the fun, and to be honest, I can see exactly why my parents go so often.

After all, I can't wait to go back.

Enjoy.

The fair never fails to inspire me for the soon arriving Fall season.

This booth was a great assortment of vintage industrial.




These pillows (and bag below), were a favourite handmade find.


Urban Farmhouse - Always a  favourite.







I think this year, STASH took the place of my favourite booth. There was just so much going on, and such creativity, you could spend hours browsing through her gorgeously styled booth.


Summerhouse - Another favourite, was beautiful and full of ironstone as always.
The gorgeous countryside.


And my father's favourite find. This is literally a shed on the side of the main road through Charm that is just full of the most random assortment of junk. The owner can be found repurposing old windows into garden benches, another stack of finds piled high on his old pick up. I think my father shopped there each day.


This is how we spent a lot of our time - driving around, climbing through old barns.

And of course, there was lots for Willen to do as well! In town, there was a hugely popular family farm. It was a petting farm, store, bakery, farmer's market and restaurant all in one. He spent his time there feeding ice cream cones full of pellets to the hungry little goats and chasing chickens. He was in awe of "Big Ben", the 3000lb Clydesdale and even rode his first pony, Shorty. A highlight of the trip was when we first arrived in Ohio. He stepped out of the van and in his most serious voice, he plainly greeted a local Amish man with a "Hey Cowboy.". We all nearly died laughing. It was priceless.

6 comments:

  1. Thaks for sharing some photos of Country LIving Fair in Columbus. I have tried for 2 years to get there. Something always gets in the way.

    At least now I know a little of what to expect when I do make it there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pics, thanks for taking us along!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I'd love to go to the Country Living fair someday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes the simple things are the best. Lovely post. Love Linda x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use to actually think black cows gave you chocolate milk.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your comments! I always love reading them. - Maria