Wednesday, December 8, 2010

BAKING DAY ~ Chocolate Dipped Shortbread Logs


Line a 1 pound candy box with tissue. Layer logs between sheets of tissue to fill box.

Earlier this week, I was invited to a cookie exchange. I've never been to one before so I was curious to see how one went. Each guest had to bring 1/2 dozen cookies (normally it's a full dozen but that could get excessive with a few girls), in a pretty package for each girl attending. As well, the recipe for the cookie you chose to make had to be included in the package. I decided to make French Macarons with Chocolate Butter Cream Filling. They turned out well enough, but I got so many amazing cookies in return. There were these gooey chocolate cookies, classic peanut butter chocolate chip cookies, "reindeer droppings" brownies, and my favourite, chocolate dipped shortbread logs. They were amazing. They literally just crumbled apart.

The best part however, was finding out how ridiculously easy they were to make! I gave them a try this morning and they turned out beautifully.

Enjoy!

- Chocolate Dipped Shortbread Logs -

1 cup of butter
1/2 cup of icing sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups of flour
1 1/2 cups of good chocolate chips
2 tsp. shortening

Cream butter and sugar together in a medium bowl. Add vanilla. Slowly add flour on low. Once incorporated, roll out logs about 1/2" wide by 2" long. Bake at 350 degrees in preheated oven on a non-greased baking sheet for 10 minutes. Cool completely. Melt chocolate and shortening. Dip cooled cookie tops or drizzle chocolate on top. Sprinkle with chopped nuts like walnuts or pecans, or for an extra crunch, try adding a few Heath toffee bits. Let set completely before packaging. Makes about 20 cookies.

Now, I always go on about how things will look all packaged up pretty. Well, these I happened to actually package this evening. I wanted a pretty little box of Christmas baking to send to our neighbors.


Seal tissue with a pretty label.


Tie with twine and add a pretty little tag and a sprig or greens or rosemary in this case.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my they look and sound good...love the way you wrapped them...very "Martha"like!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pressure of presenting a cookie would probably kill me! But, when doing it with desire and love it would be perfect. This recipe will be tried. Thanks so much!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, wish I was your neighbor! This looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the kind of stuff I'm not allowed to eat because I'm on a diet but I would love too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your comments! I always love reading them. - Maria