Wednesday, December 15, 2010

IN THE KITCHEN ~ French Onion Soup

Looking for a break from cleaning, and something quick and delicious for lunch on a chilly afternoon, I settled on a pot of French Onion soup. Sounds time consuming right? Well it's not, it's super simple. This is my own, quicker version of one of my favourite bowls of soup.

- French Onion Soup -

4 small onions, sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
3 tbsp. butter
2 cups of chicken broth
4 cups of water
1 packet of Knorr Onion Soup Mix
2 bay leaves
salt and pepper
1/2 a French baguette, cubed
1 cup of crumbled cheese (Swiss or mozzarella)

Slice 4 small onions into thinner rings. In a medium saucepan, on medium-high, melt butter. Add sliced onions. Caramelize (cook, stirring occasionally, for about 8 minutes until onions are soft and a nice gold, brown colour). Once onions are caramelized, add garlic. Cook for one minute before adding stock, water and soup mix. Season with salt and fresh pepper as well as 2 bay leaves. Stir until blended and bring to a rolling boil. Reduce to medium-low and cook for another 15 minutes. Ladle soup into oven proof bowl. Add cubes of baguette and crumbled cheese on top. Cook for 10 minutes (or until cheese is golden and bubbly) on broil. Remove carefully and serve. Serves 4.

Bon appetite!

2 comments:

  1. Look this recipe sounds delicious.I plan on making it soon. I really enjoyed your bog.I added it to my blog list.
    Looking forward so stopping by again.I hope the weather there is treating you well....Chickie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love soap with beef broth. Chicken broth is yummy but beef broth is much more tasty. At least that is what I think.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your comments! I always love reading them. - Maria