Friday, May 8, 2015

At Auction and Some News


You know when you have one of those days that just seem to be perfect? It's not that anything particularly monumental happens, it's just a perfect day.

Last Saturday was one of those days.

I spent the most beautiful first Saturday in May at auction. I love a good auction. I love browsing through piles of curious things, wondering which of the lovely pieces I'm handling will come home with me, what kind of deal I'll get on them, and where they'll find their new place in my home. But it wasn't that it was just a good auction. It was the most perfect day in May. The sun was shining and the day was warm and yet the boughs of old pines brought shade. The auction was held on one of my favourite estates - it's drive lined with a fascinating collection of pieces, more of which were scattered through it's well-maintained barns. There were even a few pieces on display inside the now empty house, which provided the opportunity to view the inside of this lovingly restored home.

I even had the company of my sister, a coffee and a few hours free of worrying about what the boys were getting into.

It was lovely. 


I really had to exercise self-control as there were so many pieces I wanted to bring home.


This, however, was what I was most excited for. I have never, in all of the auctions I've been to here, seen a collection of ironstone like this one up for auction. Ironstone is quite a rare find here. It's not as common as it is in the States, which is where I usually find most of my pieces. So you can imagine my excitement.


I happily picked up four lovely covered dishes, all for a great price. However, not every piece was a great deal. Some of the pieces went for what I would have expected to be retail prices. But that's to be expected when they are so rare a find at auction. Also, the condition of the collection was really exceptional.


While I didn't find this pitcher and bowl at the auction, I did pick it up that weekend. It was another steal from Kijiji at $40!



It has beautifully intricate floral detailing, and is in great shape.



I left happy.


I also stopped by a garage sale down the road, that same weekend, and picked up this collection of antique children's books for a mere $5.


I thought the colouring of the books made the perfect collection for a little boys room. 



But I think what made it so particularly relaxing was that the previous day, Ryan and I officially signed off on the sale of our current home, and purchased another.

We have been looking for a home in the area for the past while, and finally found a small property in Port Colborne. We are quite ecstatic.

The sale of our home has consumed a great deal of my time for the past two months. We seemed to have continual viewings, which required a home that was always in perfect condition, and that can be exhausting. Then the stress of negotiating, and paperwork, and waiting, and unknowns, and inspections - it's a lot! 

So to arrive at the auction, and know that it was all finalized, and that I could now allow myself the indulgence of purchasing a piece or two for our new home, was a blessing.

With our closing date being five weeks away, we've begun to slowly pack. We can hardly wait to be there and begin making it our home.

For now, here are two photos taken from my phone of the exterior. It's an old stone home, built in 1835, full of character and rich in local history.


11 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness Hun this is your new home... it is absolutely beautiful. I know you will enjoy every minute filling it with things of old, new found treasures and your wonderful family. Congratulations.
    I enjoyed the auction too and as you said it was a glorious day. I'm pleased you came away with a few delightful finds.
    Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your new house is gorgeous! I look forward to watching you decorate in your beautiful, simple style. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, your new home is gorgeous! Can't wait to follow along as you move in and make it yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE your new home. I have strolled past there many a time. Actually that whole neighbourhood has such lovely old homes. Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,

      In a few weeks, once we're there, if you see me out in the gardens you'll have to stop and say hello.

      Maria

      Delete
  5. So happy for you! Your new home looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy for you! Your new home looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That Saturday sounds ideal! and congratulations on your new home!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your new home. I would have fainted if I saw all that beautiful ironstone!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So happy for you…you're going to love living in Port and being closer to Bremfeld's :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! It's lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your comments! I always love reading them. - Maria