Monday, August 31, 2020

a walk through green gables


Welcome to Green Gables. If you've ever read the beloved series, Anne of Green Gables, this white and green home probably holds a dear place in your heart. I does for me. I read the books and watched the series and fell in love with Anne's world and this beautiful place she so thoroughly described. Tucked away in my grandmother's night stand is an old piece of paper written many, many summers ago. My cousins and I, while spending our summer holiday at our grandparent's house, made a plan for our Green Gables. The three of us would move to Prince Edward Island, buy an old farmhouse, and live out our days together. We listed how many hens we'd have, which kinds of fruit trees would grow in our orchard, and I, sacrificially, agreed to be the one who married so that we would have someone "handy" around the farm for repairs. I've recalled that little piece of paper many times recently as I've been making our home here on the East Coast. Walking through the house, seeing details from the books in person, was wonderfully nostalgic, and for once, I was kind of thankful to be able to walk through quietly myself.


I've been through once before, but this time, I felt like I spent more time admiring more of the details of the house. There were so many well-curated details that I would have loved to have myself!


The bold patterns in the house are so striking - from the colourful floral wallpaper and green trim in the front entrance, to the dark green carpet throughout the parlour and the dinging room.



I really did love the green trim throughout. I also liked the simplicity of Matthew's bedroom, shown here. I mean that little commode with the ironstone vanity set and the perfectly simple wallpaper...


I also loved the laundry room with it's antique baskets and dry rack, the linen aprons and the rug broom.



And of course the pantry!



When I saw it, I immediately thought of fall tables! I absolutely love this painted hutch.



Anne's bedroom with the pretty floral paper. They did a great job of trying to add elements from the book to the decor. Marilla's room is plain and in the darker corner of the house. Matthew's bedroom is downstairs, off the kitchen, because of his heart condition. Anne's closet door has a dress with puffed sleeves hanging from it. In the kitchen cupboard there's a bottle of raspberry cordial and a bowl of plum-pudding sauce (no mouse though!).



You can even walk down Lover's Lane out back, or down the Haunted Hollow path which leads to the author, Lucy Maud Montgomery's home. Apparently, each day Anne and Diana make an appearance at the museum, but a lot of those details had been suspended for the time being.

I think it's important to note that while a lot of details in this whole area of the island had become very touristy, Parks Canada has done a good job trying to keep the property as best as they can, true to how L M Montgomery would want it. It's simple compared to everything else around it, and that makes it all the more special.

2 comments:

  1. Hello everyone, Are you into trading or just wish to give it a try, please becareful on the platform you choose to invest on and the manager you choose to manage your account because that’s where failure starts from be wise. After reading so much comment i had to give trading tips a try, I have to come to the conclusion that binary options pays massively but the masses has refused to show us the right way to earn That’s why I have to give trading tips the accolades because they have been so helpful to traders . For a free masterclass strategy kindly contact (paytondyian699@gmail.com) for a free masterclass strategy. He'll give you a free tutors on how you can earn and recover your losses in trading for free..or Whatsapp +1 562 384 7738

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your comments! I always love reading them. - Maria