Thursday, November 12, 2020

in the garden - planting spring bulbs


We've had the warmest days this week, so I've made the most of them and spent some time planting some spring bulbs around the yard. I didn't plant too many, just a few clusters here and there. There are some under the large maple in the front yard, and some to the side of the front entrance. The rest have been planted under the lilac bushes which will be a welcome sight come spring. 

In each grouping I planted a few double White Lion narcissus, a few miniature White Marvel narcissus and a few double white snow drops. I selected them for their varying heights. And because they're white. (Obviously!) I love the idea of planting bulbs. Something to look forward to during the winter months, when the garden is asleep.

The garden centre looked beautiful.



I think I need to pop back in for some more muscari.


I also picked up some paperwhites to force inside for Christmas - another thing I love doing this time of year. However, due to the fact that their bulbs arrived in September, and then sat in a cool shed, they're already starting to sprout! So these ones will stay out and I'll enjoy them now through November, and I'll find some others to store away in the basement for a couple weeks so I can enjoy them closer to Christmas.


Miniature White Marvel


Double White Lion





The littler boys helped me "tuck the flowers in bed for the winter".



If you've wanted to force paperwhites, but aren't sure what you'll need, or how to get started, they're quite simple. I'm not an expert, but basically, I just pot them up now and keep them in a cool place for about 6 weeks (our basement is fieldstone so it's perfect). To pot them, I just fill planters halfway with small stones, then place my bulbs with the roots facing down. They like to be kind of snug, so fit them in quite close together. I put a bit of potting mix around them, but leave the top third showing, and then give them some water. The stones help with drainage. Don't forget to water them while they're away, a couple times a week, and then the same when they're out. Some recommend a mixture of alcohol and water to keep them from getting kind of leggy, which they can do, but I'm too cheap for that. Plus, I've read mixed reviews on it. I do however, plant them kind of low in taller pots to help with their height, and then I'll tie some ribbon around them while they're blooming in they start to flop over.

Have you planted anything for spring?

3 comments:

  1. Hello everyone, Are you into trading or just wish to give it a try, please becareful on the platform you choose to invest on and the manager you choose to manage your account because that’s where failure starts from be wise. After reading so much comment i had to give trading tips a try, I have to come to the conclusion that binary options pays massively but the masses has refused to show us the right way to earn That’s why I have to give trading tips the accolades because they have been so helpful to traders . For a free masterclass strategy kindly contact (paytondyian699@gmail.com) for a free masterclass strategy. He'll give you a free tutors on how you can earn and recover your losses in trading for free..or Whatsapp +1 562 384 7738

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daffodils, hyacinths, crocuses and tulips are welcome sights for the winter-weary. If you’ve ever looked at a swath of colorful spring bulbs with envy, plant a bed of your own. With this helpful guide to planting spring bulbs, it’s easy to do and completely foolproof!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lost my job few months back and there was no way to get income for my family, things was so tough and I couldn't get anything for my children, not until a met a recommendation on a page writing how Mr Bernie Wilfred helped a lady in getting a huge amount of profit every 6 working days on trading with his management on the cryptocurrency Market, to be honest I never believe it but I took the risk to take a loan of $800 and I contacted him unbelievable and I was so happy I earn $12,500 in 6 working days, the most joy is that I can now take care of my family I don't know how to appreciate your good work Mr. Bernie Doran God will continue to bless you for being a life saver I have no way to appreciate you than to tell people about your good services.
    For a perfect investment and good strategies contact Mr Bernie Doran via WhatsApp :+1(424)285-0682 or Telegram : @Bernie_doran_fx or Email : Bernie.doranfx01@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your comments! I always love reading them. - Maria